February 14, 2008

Museum Without Walls (MWW)

Posted by: Julia Swan
Hello museum lovers, this is Julia, the Outreach Assistant at the Burke Museum. I’m a new voice to the Burke Blog and I’m really excited to be writing for it, so I figure it is appropriate that my first post is about a project I’m working on just beyond the doors of the Burke that also excites me.

I tend to wear a lot of hats around here. When I’m not helping plan student outreach events, attending campus resource fairs, or writing press releases, I moonlight as a museology graduate student. As a student, one of the projects I’ve become involved in is the University District Museum Without Walls.

What on earth is a Museum Without Walls you might ask? Well it’s hard to define precisely, but it is essentially a way to share the unique and dynamic history and culture of the University District without staying confined to a single building or location. If you’re still feeling confused, here are some examples of upcoming MWW projects:

  • In the fall of 2008, MWW is installing a temporary exhibit (location TBD) that tells the story of
    activism in the University District. Check out the blog (yes, I contribute to the blogosphere in many ways) for a Picture of the Week feature that highlights activism in the neighborhood.
  • In 2009, MWW will help the University of Washington celebrate the centennial of the Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition by commissioning new sculptures that commemorate the AYPE.
  • MWW will be installing historic photographs on billboards throughout the neighborhood, as well as distributing collectible cards that feature notable people, places, and events in the history of the University District.

So keep your eyes and ears open for updates on the University District Museum Without Walls project. In the meantime, keep coming to the museums with walls, like the Burke Museum and the Henry Art Gallery here at the UW!

I’m looking forward to my next post!

- Julia

Photo: Pottery Booth at U-District Street Fair, by Bob Miller, 1971. Courtesy of the Museum of History and Industry, Seattle Post-Intelligencer Collection.

AddThis